The Terrapin Masters
Even though Terrapin sold out to "big beer" aka- MillerCoors, I still consider Terrapin a local company. Its always fun to grab a group of friends to day drink and look at cute puppies. And they crush not only the beer game, but also the marketing game here in Athens.
Their social media accounts and especially the website does a great job promoting their upcoming events and specials. Because of their many B2B sales, their promotions also work to bring customers to the place that sells their beer such as Boarshead, The Blind Pig, Amici, The Foundry, and others. One thing that I think is really cool is the Beer Finder search that they have on their website. It helps you find retailers that sell your favorite Terrapin beer nearest to you!
This past weekend was the AthHalf race. And no, I didn't run in it (maybe one day); however, I do follow Terrapin on Instagram. Terrapin was a sponsor for the race. And on the day of the race, they posted this clever post on their Instagram account (see bellow). The post said, "Hi-5 to all of the runners at @athhalf this morning!" I mean, who doesn't want to celebrate the completion of a half marathon with a nice cold beer. (lol I'd probably get sick). But what a great way to not only promote the AthHalf, but also your product in a catchy way.





I too am upset that Terrapin sold out also also agree that they are definitely still a local brewery and do a great job with their marketing in the Athens area. I missed this post of theirs but I love a good witty post like these that shows their still grounded and support local events and the local people!
ReplyDeleteI love Terrapin and have noticed their great marketing as well! Even though it is kind of disappointed that they sold to MillerCoors, their marketing does an excellent job at making the company seem like it's still small and local. I think the way they advertise local partnerships and sponsorship they are doing is a great example of this! They also are really great about advertising all of the events they are hosting at the brewery, which also helps it stay rooted in Athens.
ReplyDeleteI love Terrapin and have also noticed their great job of marketing! I think they do a great job of creatively linking what's going on in Athens with marketing their products. I think it gets the Athens community rallied behind their products to even carry them elsewhere.
ReplyDeleteI actually just wrote my brand comparison paper on the differences between Terrapin and Creature (with Terrapin winning most categories). They have a clear and developed marketing strategy that works well and is received well by their audience, especially with the local community. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI strongly agree with your view on Terrapin! They've got down packed the small-town local feel, while also being extremely popular across the country. Their marketing techniques really work for them, especially their role in social media marketing. Their vibe in general is enticing and makes you want to drink their beer, in my opinion, with the colors and designs they use anyway. If you are looking for a new beer to drink and haven't tried or are unfamiliar with Terrapin, I think you are more inclined to choose a brand like them because the cans jump out at you when browsing amongst all the same old colors and cans. Great company!
ReplyDeleteIt's great to see there are still people out their that have a positive feeling towards Terrapin. They really are a great company and the "sell out" was something the company didn't really have a lot of control over. Regardless, they are trying to get back on track with still being a very cool and local spot. MillerCoors is really only there to help them grow. If you like what they are doing keep your eyes open for some cool projects they have coming up in the near future. At the end of the day we have to remember these companies are still businesses and they ultimately are trying to make a profit so they can keep putting out quality products.
ReplyDeleteWhile some see the "sell-out" as a means of Terrapin being able to survive in an extremely competitive environment, it was one of their biggest successes in the recent past. MillerCoors holds 51% share of the current business - changing only things like distribution and associated logistics. With the passage and implementation of SB 85 by the Georgia General Assembly, Terrapin becoming an MC holding enables them to vastly expand their business without changing the majority of its day-t0-day operations. They did just have a major shift in their marketing structure (for the better), but by becoming a subsidiary it helps them be able to be even more locally involved than they have been since their founding. Great blog!
ReplyDeleteI agree that Terrapin has a really good social media presence. I really like how they are always really good about keeping their followers informed about all the different events their hosting and releases of any new drafts. I did not know about their Beer Finder tool on their website, but that is an extremely useful thing to put on there and will help in increasing their sales.
ReplyDeleteI love Terrapin also and I agree with you. Although they sold out to MillersCoors, they have kept their brand the same and have maintained their social media platforms. I've always enjoyed the events they have held in the past, and I wouldn't have found out about those specific events if it wasn't for their social media platforms. They do a great job reaching out to their audience.
ReplyDeleteI like the creative Instagram post but I'm on your side. I would feel awful after the race and that beer would be the last thing on my mind.
ReplyDeleteIt is super sad to see another local place sell out to a big company, but I, too, am hopeful that the brewery itself will maintain their hometown feel.
ReplyDeleteHi-5 is actually one of my favorite Terrapin beers! Although i am not a huge fan of the new way that breweries run in Georgia, Terrapin is one of my favorite breweries to go to in Athens because they always have so many options on tap!
ReplyDeleteI think that even though they were sold to Miller-Coors, a lot of the management is staying very local and allowing them to behave as a local company. I love Terrpain beer and am always excited to boast that it is based in Athens whenever any out-of-towners mention it!
ReplyDeleteI certainly agree with your stance against the Miller-Coors acquisition, Terrapin truly represents the local feel of Athens, and have become a household name to the area. I hope they maintain their connect with local businesses as well and continue to see Athens and other surrounding southerns ares as a priority!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that Terrapin had sold out, which is concerning because I am actually doing research on craft beer right now. I hope that MillerCoors doesn't change too much of their products, because it is my favorite craft beer. Also I completely agree with you about their brand and following. Since coming to UGA, I went from not knowing anything about Terrapin, to associating the beer with the culture of Athens.
ReplyDelete