The Crunch Masters?
Does anyone really like to gym? Some of us work out hard for hours every week, some of us try to keep up with the 30 minutes of exercise a day rule, some of us have just given up. Do you ever wish that you had someone constantly bugging you to go to the gym each day? Well that's how I feel about Crunch fitness here in Athens, Ga. They opened about a year ago and I was quick to jump on the "new gym train". My apartment didn't have a gym so this new "30,000 square foot state of the art" complex was very appealing to me. The thing that appealed to me most was the amazingly low prices. They have different enrollment options for every gym go-er from $10-$60. So in attempt to feel somewhat healthy without breaking the bank, I jumped in.
But back to the constant bugging or should I say marketing. When Crunch first opened up, everywhere I turned there was some sort of marketing ploy or advertisement in front of me. From Facebook ads, radio ads, Crunch Fitness flags, and people twirling signs at Beachwood. I couldn't get away from it, and now one year later, it is still as persistent as ever. There are Facebook posts nearly everyday showcasing their low membership prices and low enrollment fees. And just the other day, I saw one of their employees twirling a Crunch Fitness sign up by the Beachwood Chick-fil-a. Talk about a marketing tactic! Being right there by Chick-fil-a, I'm sure they get the attention of all those regretfully stuffed customers leaving at dinner time.
But the one marketing method that always gets my attention is their radio ad. If you have heard it, you know what I'm talking about! It plays all the time on the radio. I don't know the exact wording of the radio ad, but it is a few different people asking rhetorical questions about Crunch Fitness's great deals & prices and their state of the art facility. And then follows a bleeped out expletive such as "What the ______?" When I first heard this advertisement, I was definitely taken aback. It grabs your attention even if you are not paying any attention, so for that, I commend them. However, gyms are supposed to appeal to a very wide range of people across age groups, ethnicities, religions, demographics, and other characteristics. And people have varying opinions on the appropriateness of certain language. Especially considering that young children listen to the radio in the car with their parents. I'm sure these parents are less than thrilled for their children to hear the ad. I feel like Crunch should be more aware of their target market and the marketing tactics they use on the radio.





Comments
Post a Comment